Board index    

bishnupriya manipuris in Burma

All about Bishnupriya Manipuri History

bishnupriya manipuris in Burma

Postby kungo thang » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 am

Karunamay da, ponnas are actually manipuri brahmins. brahmins are known as ponna’s to the burmese from the pre-colonial period, there are arakanese ponnas, south indian ponnas, manipuri ponnas, sagaing ponnas so on. the word ‘ponna’ may have derived from paona which can be originated from the term pourahit as in sanskrit. basically manipuri brahmins are migrants from the east, and that why they are generally aryan in complexion. rc majumder’s ‘aryan expansion in north-eastern’ india tells there were some brahmin migration in the 4th century but they were absorbed in manipuri society. in manipur they also have a manuscript called ‘bamon khunthoklon’ and they claim it contains all detailed information about brahmin migration and how they mixed up and approaching mixed aryan characteristics.

Also the figure given by the christian missionary site is confusing because one account of hijam irabot dated 1937 shows they were less than hundred in number…. the non-brahmin migrants from manipur are knows as katheys or kateys to the burmese and they must include bishnupriyas too, if there were pourahits and maltheps there must be yajamans too. i have recently contacted one meieti fellow from mandalay, hope i can gather more info and write a detailed note on this matter very soon…
kungo thang
Nuwago
Nuwago

Re: bishnupriya manipuris in Burma

Postby ranita sinha » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:04 pm

words seems meagre to thank you..
ranita sinha
Nuwago
Nuwago

Postby karunamaysinha » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:43 pm

and my contention is that ponna/brahmin is the word used by the local burmese to denote indian hindus. even sudras ar called brahmis/ponnas. perhaps they they associated any hindu ritual with brahmins and hence the name. laksmindrada also seemed to share my view and suggested reading of one mutua bahadur's article. have u checked? in the videos from mandalay, it is clear that a brahmin was there to do the rituals for his Jojmans. but the whole kumei was described as belonging to manipuri brahmins' barsop (basok), adirbas (adhibas) etc. i think it needs more research...
karunamaysinha
Nuwago
Nuwago

Postby karunamaysinha » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:49 pm

hey, i wrote something and then clicked submit button...then it just vanished...did i have to click save button? le'mme see...
karunamaysinha
Nuwago
Nuwago

Re: karunamoy da

Postby kungo thang » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:57 am

welcome to the forum, karunamoy da :) :D
kungo thang
Nuwago
Nuwago

Postby karunamaysinha » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:35 pm

thanks KT - and Uttam...so, finally i'm here!
karunamaysinha
Nuwago
Nuwago

Return to History